May is a month full of reasons to celebrate! Spring is in full bloom. The day to honor all mothers is in the middle of the month. School is almost out for the summer. And, we honor our fallen soldiers at the end of the month. We have gathered a bunch of great activities for each of these occasions that you must try.
Spring has Sprung!
- Make a Weather vane to study wind patterns.
- Host a Sidewalk Art Show to show off your little ones’ creativity.
- Start a garden by growing something from scraps.
- Make a bird feeder to attract the feathered friends from the neighborhood.
- Practice mindfulness with a listening scavenger hunt.
- Experiment with plants and hypothesize where they grow best.
- Use food coloring and sugar water to make colored ants.
- Get outside and make a bottle rocket.
- Use household items to create a tornado.
DIY Mother’s Day Gift ideas
- Let mom carry her stuff in style with this flower press tote bag.
- Create a keepsake with these fingerprint cards.
- Put a twist on tradition with this chocolate bouquet.
- Help mom pamper herself with these green tea bath bombs.
- Take mom on a progressive date to show her how much you love her.
- Make a photo bookmark for the book loving mom.
- Show mom how much you care with a printable Mother’s Day book.
- Give Mom a beautiful place to set her drink with mini pallet coasters.
- Learn how to draw a bouquet of roses for Mom.
- Make Mom’s “me time” smell great with homemade bath salts.
- Add some personal flair with artwork candles.
- There are so many things to love about Mom, why not tell her?
- Pop Goes the Kid is great for a pick me up on Mom’s desk at her office.
Honor the Fallen this Memorial Day
- Take the kids to a parade.
- Create a patriotic agamograph with the kids.
- Try some poppy painting with balloons. Poppies are traditional for Remembrance Day, the Canadian version of Memorial Day.
- Visit a war memorial near you.
- Try this How to Draw a Star video!
- Honor the National Moment of Remembrance. At 3 p.m. on Memorial Day, every American is asked to pause for just one minute to honor the fallen.
- Draw a soldier with this How to Draw video.
- Make a Salt Firework Craft.
- This Tin Can Luminary is a must try!!
- Share a photo of your beloved fallen soldier/airman/etc. on Facebook or Instagram. It’s a day about remembering after all, so share his (or her) story!