The best way to keep the brain drain at bay is to continue reading everyday throughout the summer. It doesn’t have to be just sitting down and reading a book, there are lots of ways to sneak reading into your day. Find other ways for the kids to make connections to the material. Just 20-30 minutes per day of any kind of reading is going to keep them fluent while exposing them to new ideas and ways of reading.
Try these simple ways to make reading fun.
• The library summer reading program
• Audio books and literacy apps.
• Read summer reading lists together
• Have a family book contest.
• Poems, magazines, nonfiction, comic books, etc.
• Compare the movie and the book.