Family Fun: 11 January Activities for You and Your Kids
Little January tapped at my door today and said “put on your winter wraps and come outdoors to play.”- Winifred C. Marshall
January is a great month to start new and enjoy some winter fun! Enjoy these 11 activities I found that are fun for kids:
- Drink Hot Chocolate: This delicious drink is easy to whip up, but make a ritual out of it and go slow to enjoy the process with you little ones. Adding whip cream to the top is my favorite part!
- Make a Puzzle: Dig out an old one or grab a new one from the store, this tactile activity is a great activity for group or single playtime.
- Examine Snowflakes: When it snows, chill some black construction paper in the freezer. Catch snowflakes on the paper and examine them with a magnifying glass!
- Family Game Night: Bring out the board games and play a family game of Candy Land or UNO
- Write your Own Bedtime Story: A great way to build creativity and even practice handwriting and spelling. Making up your own bedtime stories can be done verbally or by hand.
- Have a Movie Night: Cozy up with some popcorn and a warm blanket for snuggling.
- Build a fort: Use whatever you’d like, cushions, blankets, boxes. Have a snack or read inside the fort.
- Make a sensory bin: Here are some examples of great sensory bins to play with!
- Go Sledding or Ice skating: This outdoor activity will get everyone in the family that much needed breath of fresh air and burn some calories while you’re at it.
- Create a Bedtime Routine with Books: Bedtime is way easier with a routine, check out our free download chart here and find some great books here!
- Make snowman crafts: Whether you are a warm weather or snowy state, snowman crafts are a great way to keep tiny hands busy.
Founder and CEO of Young Rembrandts and Author of Being Visual